- There are new icons or shortcuts on your desktop that were not previously there.
- Your PC is noticeably slow.
- You receive annoying pop-ups that appear on a regular basis.
How do you avoid computer worms?
- Don't download files from unknown sources, either from your email or a website.
- Scan all new files with virus-scanning software before opening.
- Check for any virus-scanning software updates.
- Don't download attachments (e.g., pictures, games, electronic greetings) unless it's from someone you know.
- Notify someone if you are planning on sending an email with links or attachments.
- Turn on your firewall to alert you of any harmful sites you may come across while surfing the internet.
- Safeguard important files and communications by creating a strong password and changing it frequently.
If you think your computer has a worm, we recommend that you use antivirus software to run a scan. If you don't have one, you can download McAfee's latest antivirus software or you can visit AOL's Internet Security Central page for more information.